I feel like my "woo" has gone. I use to have the ability to woo people I met. Be it a funny one-liner, a witty comment or some kind of snappy remark - somehow I could give people a good tickle. I think I'm out of woo. I give it a shot sometimes and get one of those wide-mouth, head back "ooooookay..." kind of laughs. After I'm out of the awkward spotlight, I give one of those "what was I thinking" eye-rolls to the ground around me as I get back to what I was doing. I find this usually happens in waiting rooms. It makes me feel like a fool but I've learned to shrug it off quickly. I wonder if I'm just not able to snap to it like I used to or if I've always been a little cooky and I'm just now getting the memo.
Maybe I was that girl and thought I was a lot funnier than everyone around me did. Anyway, it'd be nice to get a dose of woo and fire-off something worth a real laugh next time I'm trying lighten the mood or break the awkward silence around me. Is this what makes people turn bitter? Not being able to make jokes anymore? I'm not giving up. Maybe just treading water in my own awkwardness the next time I take a stab at it will help make some stranger's day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Megan, you are a freaking riot. I loved everything you wrote and laughed my significant ass off. Keep it up.
XOXO,
Kellie
ha ha- I like that- significant ass- that's funny.
anyway, don't give up the funny. Attempts are way better than nothing.
and, according to some recent poll I heard about, awkward is the new funny anyway- i.e.- the office (hilarious)
Post a Comment